Cristian Pavon Pineda Wiki – Cristian Pavon Pineda Biography
Cristian Pavon Pineda is the Texas boy whose death during the recent severe winter storm has made headlines across the country. The 11-year-old boy was found dead in his bed at the family’s mobile home in Conroe, Texas, on February 16.
The mobile home lacked electricity and heat as temperatures dropped below freezing. Cristian’s cause of death has yet to be formally determined, but the family suspects that he died of hypothermia. The family’s attorney, Tony Buzbee, told KTRK-TV that he plans to sue ERCOT and the Entergy power company for gross negligence.
According to the newspaper, the family had lived in the mobile home in Conroe for about nine months. Conroe Police spokesman Sgt. Jeff Smith described the house as a “40-year-old single-width trailer with little insulation.”
Cristian Pavon Pineda Age
Cristian Pavon Pineda was 11 years old.
The recent winter storm marked the first time Cristian had seen snow and was excited for it, his mother told The Courier of Montgomery County. María Elisa Pineda told the newspaper that she took photos of her son playing in the snow. “Everything was fine. I was happy that day. He wasn’t sick at all. ”
Cristian was born and raised in Tela, Honduras. He moved to Texas in 2019 after being separated from his mother for about a year, the Washington Post reported, citing the Spanish-language television network Univision.
Pineda told The Courier that her son dreamed of becoming a pilot one day. She added that Pavon loved being a big brother. He had a 3-year-old stepbrother and an 11-month-old half-brother.
Cause of Death
Cristian went to sleep on February 15 with his 3-year-old stepbrother, with whom he shared a bed. The mobile home had been without electricity or heat for about two days at the time, KTRK-TV reported. The Washington Post, citing Pineda, reported that Cristian never complained of the cold and never indicated whether he felt ill.
Cristian’s aunt, Jaliza Yera, told the local television station that Cristian’s stepfather, Manuel Moreno, checked the children in the middle of the night. He “he made sure they were okay. They were still breathing. He covered them, patted them, and went back to sleep. ”
Cristian did not get out of bed in the morning, but the family did not initially think anything about it. Cristian liked to sleep late when he didn’t have school, Univision reported. According to People, Cristian slept “under a pile of blankets.”
Pineda tried to wake Cristian around 2:30 p.m. but the boy did not respond. The family called 911 but told The Courier they were temporarily put on hold until a Spanish-speaking dispatcher could reach them by phone.
But as Yera told KTRK-TV, Cristian was already gone. “We kept doing CPR until the fire department came and took over and within a minute they told us it was too late.” Cristian’s youngest half-brother was not injured.
Furthermore, he told the newspaper that Cristian’s parents had cooperated. Officers took blood samples from Pineda and Moreno to verify drug use, which Smith explained was simply a routine step in the investigations.
But the family firmly believes that Cristian died due to the freezing weather. Yera started a GoFundMe campaign to raise money to send Cristian’s body back to Honduras for his burial. She wrote on the page:
Due to the low temperatures observed in the Conroe area, this family was without power for two days. The early morning of February 16 dropped to 12 degrees. Cristian was found dead. We are trying to raise funds to be able to transfer the body to Honduras. His wish was to see his grandparents again and that is what the mother wants to accomplish, please help us in whatever way you can so that hopefully, you can achieve it, God bless you.
Yera set a goal of raising $ 5,000. But as of this writing, thousands of donors had donated more than $ 84,000.
Family Is Suing for Gross Negligence
The family has hired a Houston attorney, Tony Buzbee, to represent them. Buzbee told KTRK-TV he plans to file a lawsuit against ERCOT and Entergy for $100 million.
Buzbee claimed the companies were guilty of gross negligence in Cristian’s death due to the decision to shut off customers’ power. “These decisions, which led to deaths, were made based on profit, not the welfare of people,” Buzbee told the TV station. “People died. ERCOT and the electrical providers like Entergy must account.”
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) operates Texas’ electrical grid and Entergy is an energy provider. ERCOT released a written statement defending its decision to shut off power during the severe winter storm:
We haven’t yet reviewed the lawsuits and will respond accordingly once we do. Our thoughts are with all Texans who have and are suffering due to this past week. However, because approximately 46% of privately-owned generation tripped offline this past Monday morning, we are confident that our grid operators made the right choice to avoid a statewide blackout.
Heavy reached out to ERCOT for further comment. The organization responded via email: “This is a tragedy. Our thoughts are with all Texans who have and are suffering due to this past week. We haven’t yet reviewed the lawsuits in full and will respond accordingly once we do.”
Entergy also released a brief statement, KHOU-TV reported: “We are deeply saddened by the loss of life in our community. We are unable to comment due to pending litigation.”
Texas could have been without power for several months if ERCOT had not made the decision to temporarily cut power to customers when it did, ERCOT President Bill Magness insisted to The Texas Tribune. He told the newspaper that the state’s power grid was “seconds and minutes” away from a massive failure because, due to below-average temperatures brought on by the winter storm, demand far exceeded the available supply. “The operators who took those actions to avoid a catastrophic blackout and much worse damage to our system, that was, I would say, the most difficult decision that had to be made during this entire event,” Magness said.
ERCOT had planned to implement continuous blackouts to ease the strain on the system. As the Associated Press reported, ongoing blackouts are intended to prevent individual areas from being without power for too long. But in Texas, millions of customers went days without power, CBS Austin reported.
The lawsuit of Cristian Pavon’s family is not the only one facing ERCOT. As The Corpus Christi Caller-Times reported, a lawsuit in Nueces County claims that ERCOT and power companies like AEP should have been prepared for this type of emergency and should have “winterized their plants.”